Saturday, August 22, 2009

Powdered Wigs



We’ve all seen them at some point in time. They’re part of American history—part of the American heritage! Actually, they’re a bigger deal than just that: They’re a part of history for all Western Society!



If you don’t know what I’m talking about, look no further than a one, two, ten, or hundred dollar bill. I’m not talking about Presidents, Pilgrims, or the Founding Fathers! I’m talkin’ about the wigs they wore! That’s right, big, white, curly, and glorious powdered wigs! If you STILL don’t know what I’m talking about, check out the English gentlemen in Pirates of the Caribbean. You don’t seriously think they really had hair THAT amazing, do you?



Although the Fore Fathers had it going on, wigs started in ancient civilizations. Mostly the Egyptians are to blame; they wore them to protect their bald heads from the sun. Although wigs had a practical start, they gradually became fashionable. By the 17th century, they had ‘evolved’ into what we now know as powdered wigs. Sometimes they were tights curls, like on the dollar bills, and sometimes they were long, flowing locks of curls like the picture to the right.



These wigs were worn by both men, women, and children for formal occasions. As time passed, the need for such formal dress diminished, and so did the popularity of these wigs until they faded out of usage completely.



From Wikipedia: “Later, wigs or the natural hair were worn long, brushed back from the forehead and clubbed or tied back at the nape of the neck with a black ribbon.” It’s quite possible that if you follow this hair fashion to it’s full manifestation you will arrive at the mullet!!



Daniel’s thoughts: I have to admit that I probably would’ve been born poor and had wig envy all my life! If I were lucky enough to be of noble blood, my wig would’ve been a point of pride and I probably would’ve rocked the ones with the super long and curly locks!



Aaron’s thoughts: Am I the only one who's wondering why these ever went out in the first place? If we're lucky they'll come back into style. Heck, why wait? If we work together we can get this thing off the ground! Tell everyone you know, the powdered wigs are making a comeback!

I'll probably go for a wavy one that would go down to my neck.



The bottom line: No matter where you stand on this issue, powdered wigs were worn by men, women, and children and offered something for the whole family. You can deny it all you want, but ultimately, I guess you had to be there!

1 comment: